Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ever thine. Ever mine. Ever ours.

Source: fanpop.com
Sex and the City – the movie – isn’t even one of my favourite chick flicks, but to everyone’s surprise, I have seen it more than once as it is an afternoon favourite with the English Movie channels here, especially when they have nothing else to air. I don’t mind watching it (much to my husband’s horror) for various girly reasons (read loyalty to the SATC TV series, clothes, shoes and the little bits of wit). Although I watched the movie without taxing my brain or my heart, yet a particular line, “Ever thine. Ever mine. Ever ours.” from a particular scene (where Carrie read out a love letter by Beethoven from a book called Love Letters of Great Men) somehow got stuck in my head. This line was then later quoted again in the movie by Big when he finally married Carrie. The movie in itself isn’t a romantic’s dream, but there’s something so “foreverly” in this line that it prompted me to find out more about these letters and the book.

Source: ebookstore.sony.com
Source: commons.wikimedia.org
To my surprise, I found that the book never actually existed, although the letters referenced in the film were real. However, in response to fan demand, 2 books were eventually published, which contain a collection of love letters written by some of the greatest men in history (novelist Mark Twain, poet Robert Browning, playwright George Bernard Shaw, composer Ludwig van Beethoven, President George Washington, and many others). The first book (entitled Love Letters of Great Man, Vol. 1), which appears exactly as seen in the movie, was authored by John C. Kirkland and published on the date of the film’s premier, May 12, 2008. The second book (entitled Love Letters of Great Men), was edited by Ursula Doyle and published by Macmillan Publishers on November 25, 2008.

However, I also read that a book called Love Letters of Great Men and Women: From the Eighteenth Century to the Present Day by CH Charles might have inspired the writers of SATC to create  and use a similar book as a prop in the movie, thereby unknowingly laying the foundation for the 2 other books published subsequently.

While reading some of the letters contained within the books, I realised that the core nature of men hasn’t really changed very much over the years. Qualities like passion, jealousy, possessiveness, lust, longing, love, sacrifice, devotion, tolerance and fidelity will never go out of fashion, and the universal need to express our emotions will always exist, only the medium may vary in every era- it may be a simple love letter, or a quick email, or a short SMS. Love surpasses all understanding.

I have reproduced below Beethoven’s Love Letter 3. It is believed that three passionate unsent letters were found in Beethoven’s desks after his death. They were addressed to his “Immortal Beloved.” There was no year on the letters, and there is no conclusive evidence regarding the identity of the “Immortal Beloved.” However, historians believe that she may be a Viennese woman called Antonie Bretano (1780-1869), who was married to a German merchant and was leaving the city at the time of these letters.

Good morning, on July 7
Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, now and then joyfully, then sadly, waiting to learn whether or not fate will hear us - I can live only wholly with you or not at all - Yes, I am resolved to wander so long away from you until I can fly to your arms and say that I am really at home with you, and can send my soul enwrapped in you into the land of spirits - Yes, unhappily it must be so - You will be the more contained since you know my fidelity to you. No one else can ever possess my heart - never - never - Oh God, why must one be parted from one whom one so loves. And yet my life in V is now a wretched life - Your love makes me at once the happiest and the unhappiest of men - At my age I need a steady, quiet life - can that be so in our connection? My angel, I have just been told that the mailcoach goes every day - therefore I must close at once so that you may receive the letter at once - Be calm, only by a calm consideration of our existence can we achieve our purpose to live together - Be calm - love me - today - yesterday - what tearful longings for you - you - you - my life - my all - farewell. Oh continue to love me - never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved.
ever thine
ever mine
ever ours

These eternal love letters may be of great use to all those love-struck people out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment