Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Romance is in the Air!

Source: dealnay.com
A chance encounter with a nice Frenchman at the Mumbai airport provided the foundation for this post. While walking through a bookstore, this gentleman requested me to help him choose a typical Bollywood family entertainer. I was more than happy to oblige him, but found it extremely difficult to restrict my selection to only 1 movie. However, after much deliberation, I decided to give him a compilation of the 12 best Bollywood movies (by Yash Raj Films Pvt. Ltd.), which are the most appropriate examples for the Hindi movie song-and-dance routine.

Then, on the flight, I started recalling my all-time favourite romantic Hindi movies (I instinctively started thinking about romantic movies as it was Valentine’s day and love seemed to be blossoming everywhere. In retrospect, however, another reason could be that I had met the love of my life, my husband, on an airport, and so unconsciously my mind goes all gooey and mushy at airports!). I could remember about 15 movies off the top of my head, and thought that sharing the list with everyone would be a unique way to celebrate love.

So, here are my favourites (I know these are a few too many, but trust me, each of these movies deserves to be on this list!). I, humbly, request every die-hard romantic to watch these at least once in their lifetime. These movies were released over a span of many years and they are seminal in changing the face of Hindi cinema and its fixation with love.

I would be more than happy to make any additions to this list.

  1. Mughal-e-Azam
  2. Bobby
  3. Chandni
  4. Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak
  5. Maine Pyaar Kiya
  6. Hum Aapke Hain Kaun
  7. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
  8. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
  9. Dil To Pagal Hai
  10. Kaho Na Pyaar Hai
  11. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
  12. Veer Zaara
  13. Devdas
  14. Jab We Met
  15. Om Shanti Om
  16. I Hate Love Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment