Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

From YouTube to Hollywood

I had received an e-mail sometime back that sent me this YouTube link. I thought that this video entitled Ataque de Panico! (Panic Attack), was a trailer for a soon-to-be released  movie. However, when I dug a little deeper, I found out that it was a five-minute short film by an Uruguayan filmmaker, Fede Alvarez.
This video, which was posted on YouTube in November 2009, is a stylized documentary about giant robots attacking and destroying Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay. I was, to say the least, surprised when I read that Alvarez had made the film for less than $1000.


Alvarez not only received great adulation for his amazing short, but it also earned him a US$30 million Hollywood deal from Ghost House Pictures. Sam Raimi, director of the Spider Man films has offered Alvarez the opportunity to team with a writer to create a feature film.

Alvarez told BBC's Latin American service BBC Mundo, "If some director from some country can achieve this by just uploading a video to YouTube, it obviously means that anyone could do it."


This, I guess, is another example among many (like blogs) that shows the internet is such a level-playing field, a meritocracy where its your talent that matters and exceptional work can reach great heights without being encumbered by the restrictions encountered through the usual approaches.


I wish Alvarez good luck for his future endeavours and hope to see his work in a major Hollywood film soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment